Translate

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Studying Art in Historic Florence, Italy


©Leslie Guzmán 
One of my favorite places in Italy
A year ago I was in Italy. Wow how time flies!!! I have talked about studying abroad for years and years. Somewhere in Europe, I would always say. Maybe Spain the motherland or Italy full of Renaissance art. I wanted to stay for 6 months. Long story short, I had given up on this thought believing that realistically there was no way I could or would study abroad.




Then the opportunity came up for a study abroad trip with my university to, ITALY! Of course I signed up and since it was only for one month I knew my two loves (hubby and my puppy) would be just fine. We planned for months with meetings counting down the days and even having art sales. 


©Leslie  Guzmán
Seeing art created by amazing minds
such along time ago, that is inspiring.

The trip came and went so fast, we felt we planned longer than the trip lasted. It was overall a wonderful experience and even with some downfalls it was a great trip. Skipping all the details of the trip, I will discuss only the interesting and amazing parts of Florence where we lived. 


We lived on XXVII April, or Via Ventisette Aprile, 27
on Erasmus apartment. That was the longest climb and so painful on our legs for the first few days. From all the places I visited in Italy, Florence was the #1. Everybody is so nice and very welcoming to tourists unlike other parts of Italy that will remain un named. I learned the streets, walked to the market where I bought my food. I went to the train station, to the studio and to so many beautiful places that I enjoyed spending my time sketching or painting. 


The group that we were with was ARTIS and they are the best people in the world. Not to mention so knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend them and go on another trip with them. I learned so much about renaissance art and the masters. So many details of history that would have passed by me in a history class yet I got to see it, walk and live it.


I loved seeing street artist creating all over

I experienced art and a change in me happened. I decided to be faithful to my artistic style and not allow others to push me into something else. I no longer want to apologize for the way I think. This was not the magical trip that I thought it would be, that I would be instantly be inspired. I did take a million pictures that will help me in my studio classes. I also had the privilege of meeting a great person that has become my guardian angel in the art world and is now my boss.


Part of our group taking in the art or creating art

I am looking forward to another study abroad trip, hopefully very soon!!!


No comments: