Translate

Friday, December 27, 2013

A New Year & New Art Goals Set

Photo Credit
Good Bye 2013!!!
I will not say that I hated 2013 but it was not the best. It did make me grow as a person and fight for what Leslie wants to be. With the same attitude in mind I want to make 2014 productive in making me artist, Leslie Guzmán.



I am going to graduate at the end of this new and wonderful year and I want to have my feet grounded in what my life will be in the Houston art world. So I decided to be organized and set goals for myself. This is a combination of me and some help from the internet.

10 Important Goals for 2014 (At least for me)


1. Art Inventory

I did not even realize how much art work I have until I started organizing. This means from your first art pieces until current pieces.

Photo Credit


2. Photography
You do not have to be a professional to take a good photograph but you should have good images of your artwork for exhibits, websites and competitions.

3. Head Shot
    
Since we are on the topic of photography, each artist should have a current head shot for various reasons. I have yet to update a head shot for my blog. This one will be done first!

Photo Credit


4. Portfolio
Your entire art inventory is not your portfolio. A portfolio consists of your best work and you should always have it handy.

Photo Credit


5. Artist Studio


You must have a place to work and it should be organized. I am fortunate that I have two, one at school and one at home. The restructure of my school studio has started to make it more productive. My studio at home has become my storage, this will change this year.

Photo Credit


6. Social Media


I started my art blog in Aug of 2013, but I have not been consistent. I am making it a rule to update weekly. You can’t achieve success on a blog if you never post or update it. I made it a rule of not posting my artwork on face book which to me is more for personal use. Starting a fan page on face book is my new goal for this year.



7. Advancing Art Career

I am grateful that 2013 gave me my first art job. I am learning behind the scenes of  a gallery & custom frame shop. This year I plan to devote more time to work to learn more and be ready for when I graduate.

8. Managing Time Wisely
    
In 2013 my time was limited, or just not well organized. I plan on working in both studios each day. Even on the days that I work at the gallery I will arrive early to school to work in studio. Same at home studio, even if it is only for an hour anything will be better than not.

Photo Credit

                                    
9. Getting Out There
Becoming artists does not just mean making art for your family to see. You want the world to see it. How else will you do it if you never try to display it? So my goals is to enter my artwork to more competitions and exhibits.

10. A Journal and Sketching
     
I used to write daily, not necessarily about my art but a personal journal. When I go back to read it my imagination goes wild remembering those moments. This year I will keep a journal of my progress and maybe include it in my sketchbook. I have enjoyed sketching more lately. Practice makes perfect after all.

Photo Credit




Thanks to Kate Renee for writing Goal Setting & Lori McNee on helping us keep these goals. I know we all set goals and say that January 1st is the big day and by day two we quit.
This year makes a big difference on where my art career goes or if I will even have one. Plus art makes me happy and relaxes me why not embrace it on a daily basis.  Please share some of your own art goals for the new year...


HAPPY 2014!!!




No comments: